Bill & Cat's Blog About Calla

Gender: Female
Name: Calla Sophia
Birthdate: October 11, 2008

Friday, April 18, 2008

Heartburn, Nausea, and the Tickly Wigglies!

I had a rough night last night! I suppose since I had vomited up the Unisom the previous night, I started feeling barfy in the early evening. Then, I suppose because I had Paneer Masala for lunch, I started to get heartburn in the early evening. Miserable, tortuous heartburn that made each breath agonizing.

Pregnant women, when they are suffering from heartburn, are supposed to take Tums. So I rifled through the bathroom cabinets, which are crammed packed full of remedies (OTC, prescription, and homeopathic) for nearly any ailment you can imagine. I was looking for the ubiquitous discarded half-roll of Tums that can be found in the far corner of any bathroom drawer or cabinet - any bathroom drawer or cabinet EXCEPT mine, that is.

Guess who never gets heartburn? Me, four months ago.

So, I tried the baking soda remedy (I should mention this is not generally recommended for pregnant women because the high sodium content will cause water retention.), with good results. Unfortunately, just as the heartburn was subsiding, the nausea began to rise.

Dang baby!

So, I barfed up paneer masala. I want to spare you the details, but I really feel it's worth mentioning that paneer masala loses its appeal once it's come out your fucking nose partially digested. Fun. What didn't occur to me was that I also barfed up my soothing baking soda elixir. It did occur to me as I was lying down in bed and I felt like I was dying because the heartburn returned with a vengeneance! I guess I can blame pregnancy hormones for the sobbing that ensued. I was just so frustrated that I was still puking into the second trimester and that I was cultivating a new pregnancy-related ailment with the heartburn. I began to wonder if I was going to experience every single agonizing pregnancy symptom out there: varicose veins, hemmorhoids, swollen feet, back aches, et al - just waiting to attack!

Then, I felt that little tiny flutter (the same as I felt at 12 weeks 4 days after the baby and I endured the u/s tech from hell)down low in my abdomen - just like butterfly wings gently tickling my tummy, and I stopped mid-sob and just giggled and said, "Hello, flutterbug!" I felt better. Well, I didn't feel better, to be honest, but I stopped feeling so sorry for myself, and I remembered that it's worth it, I'll survive, and it'll get better, and it'll get worse, and it'll all be over probably faster than I realize.

Then I got up and had another dose of baking soda. I went back to bed with my head elevated (Bill's suggestion), the Unisom took effect and I drifted off to sleep. I sure do love it when those tickly wigglies happen in my tummy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am sorry you are having a barfy time. I did too...my favorite things that helped smoothies from Smoothie King, ice cream, frozen yogurt, and the best remedy Mylanta!

Calla Videos

Calla's Favorite Videos