Bill & Cat's Blog About Calla

Gender: Female
Name: Calla Sophia
Birthdate: October 11, 2008

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

First Prenatal Visit

I had my first prenatal checkup today! Ooh!

Bill and I met at the doctor's office and waited for fifty minutes. I sat there scared to death that somehow I was going to find out that I was not pregnant - that I had made a mistake somehow. Of course, I know, and I knew, very well that I am pregnant. I have no period, no energy, no bras that fit, and no control over my emotions. Still, I was a bit worried, and looking forward to some medical reassurancem which the lovely Dr. R. provided. She came up with the same due date: October 13.

Then she really surprised us when she informed us that we would be doing an ultrasound today. I wasn't expecting that at all. She said she was completely justified doing it since I had lost two pounds and I have had some queasiness - insurance requires two "reasons" in order for doctors to be able to do an ultrasound at six weeks, apparently.

So I went to see a perky ultrasound tech named V., who treated me with all the patience, understanding, and kindness of a kindergarten teacher, which was completely appropriate and appreciated (if not a little amusing, too). She put a wonderful warm gel on my tummy, and we all looked at the screen to see the wee one, but we couldn't see squat! Those fears about not really being pregnant began to surface again as V. asked questions like "Are your periods usually regular?" "Have you had any cramping?" and so on.

Then she informed me that she would have to do the ultrasound vaginally in order to get a better look. We tried that, and at last we could see something: the yolk sac! Whee! Exciting! She informed us that ultrasound was putting the baby at 5 weeks 2 days instead of the 6 weeks 1 day that my cycle suggested. Sounds reasonable enough to me, I could have ovulated later than expected. Dr. R. decided not to change the due date, because there is only six day discrepancy, but I do have to get another ultrasound in two weeks (March 4) so we can see all the stuff we were hoping to see today, such as the heartbeat.

Bill and I left feeling pretty excited. I'm happy to know that nothing is amiss, the little critter has positioned itself inside my uterus. So far, so good. Looking forward to getting more good news on March 4. And to be honest with you, I'm looking forward to "getting fat" - because I can't wait until I'm past the first trimester.

No comments:

Calla Videos

Calla's Favorite Videos